Monday, July 11, 2016

With All My Love

Dear Elder Schenewark,

"DALLAS — The heavily armed sniper who gunned down police officers in downtown Dallas, leaving five of them dead, specifically set out to kill as many white officers as he could, officials said Friday. He was a military veteran who had served in Afghanistan, and he kept an arsenal in his home that included bomb-making materials.


"The gunman turned a demonstration against fatal police shootings this week of black men in Minnesota and Louisiana from a peaceful march focused on violence committed by officers into a scene of chaos and bloodshed aimed against them.

"The shooting was the kind of retaliatory violence that people have feared through two years of protests around the country against deaths in police custody, forcing yet another wrenching shift in debates over race and criminal justice that had already deeply divided the nation."

These words from The NY Times pretty much sum up what this week will be like for me at work. This incident happened on my days off, and the city is still reeling. Because the city and law enforcement agencies in the county are all on high alert, my life has changed. Buildings in the city are still closed due to the scene investigation. The normally empty hallways on the weekends are full, and life will continue to be altered. And President Obama's arrival this week will continue to keep the pace rocketing.

Your grandfather was was admitted to Brigham and Women's Hospital. He has septicemia, a bad infection of the blood. Friday Grampy was asked to speak at the Catholic Church on behalf of the fallen policemen in Dallas. Your grandmother said he was great. He was kind of like the last scene in The Princess Bride where the farm boy was was propped up in bed, totally faking it all. He used one of his poems on how the Lord is always by our side during adversity. Your grandparents warned the two pastors that he would have to leave right after he spoke due to illness. They left there at 6:30 p.m. and got into a cubicle at the hospital at 10:10 p.m. And he's still there.

I don't believe it was a coincidence that Grampy was asked to say words on behalf of officers half a nation away from New England, in the city where his daughter works. It was a tender moment for me, knowing his love and spirit the community of Northborough wanted, and reached out to him for, was also felt out here in the city so devastated by this week's tragedy. Grampy too is fighting for his life, as are officers in Dallas. The difference, though is love.
The foundation of our nation, as well as the city of Dallas, will recover as strong as hate diminishes.

Hunter! Have you tried on the contact sample? Do you want me to ship you contacts? Did you like it?
I have an eye benefit and can order you new glasses and mail them to you. We can use the old prescription, or you can have an exam there. Can I do this for you as well?

Marcia and I have been having conversations all week. She's very sweet. She's sent me pictures of your birthday celebration, and lots of love. I'm so appreciative!

We had a quiet little cook-out when I got home from work, to celebrate your birthday and the 4th of July. Porter did indeed make apple pies - YUM! I enjoy his more than mine! He had been invited by friends to jet ski, so he was gone most of the day. I felt lucky to be sitting at dinner with my family that day, as I almost didn't come home. A large thunder storm cell passed over the Fort Worth-Dallas area that morning, on my way to work, and the skies opened up in a downpour. My little car hydroplaned on the freeway, across two lanes of traffic, and inches from the cement barrier. If it had been any day other than the 4th, a holiday, when no one was on the road at 5:15 a.m., I would have been hit by cars speeding on their way to work. I know my protection was a blessing I received because of your service. Heavenly Father loves you and the effort you're giving Him.

We received the first news and picture of Kayla in the MTC in Mexico. So wonderful to see her!


Dad and Sawyer finally ended their almost two months of fish-free fishing sessions. They're not as hungry when the weather's so hot. It's a good hobby for your father. And Sawyer is a constant companion. Sawyer and Miller went down to Tarleton with your father one day this week. His summer class began, and they wanted to use the facilities. Swimming and basketball all day is a great way to spend a summer day.

Cooper is still building airplanes. And he's getting better. Even his large, foam birds soar.

I believe this is it for news. Just know of our love for you. We miss you, but know you're where you need to be doing what needs to be done.

Love,

Mom

2 comments:

laura.lewis95 said...

I love your letters--Elder Schenewark is blessed to have such an amazing family supporting him. Sounds like he is doing well. Prayers for your dad, and those suffering around the world. Love to you!

MarieC said...

I'm behind on reading your blog, but you have been on my mind a lot in the aftermath of the Dallas police shootings. Sending you love and calm!