Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Words for the Wingmen

Dear Family and Friends,

The joys of having a real mattress are not to be underestimated. We got ours back on Tuesday after an uber-helpful bishopric member a.k.a. Brother Super-Jacob, helped us move all of our furniture to our apartment. I’m asleep! Asleep at last!!! Can I get a hallelujah!! Getting our couch inside proved to be a new feat for Hercules. Remember, this thing contains a wonderful, albeit HEAVY, pull-out bed. Maneuvering it down the basement stairs and around sharp corners was only half the battle. The other half involved removing the couch’s feet, taking the front door off, taking a light off the wall outside, ninja kicking it, etc. etc. I was less worried about getting the couch inside than I was that I was going to have to scrape what was left of Brother Super-Jacob off the wall and return him to his wife in a box. Alas, moving. Whoever gets this apartment will probably also get a couch. Surprise!

I don’t know if I mentioned this yet, but our Elders' Quorum has a stake basketball team and, after being branded as losers after our first week loss (no finger pointing here), we blew our competition out of the water. And one of our team members plays in an electric wheelchair because he. Has. One. Leg. His name is Dave and he’s great. More adventures from the 8th Ward B-team this week.

Speaking of basketball, my goal this year is—given that we won’t be globetrotting or summer-selling—to whip myself back into proper man shape. Slowly but surely we’ll get there. So far big little bro Porter has been a great help in moving back in that direction as he agreed to be my lifting buddy on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. We hit it hard last week and we’re back at it tomorrow. Then, I play basketball with the ward on Tuesday and play with one of our ward members on Fridays at 6 a.m. and Saturday I went and played with Port-dog at BYU’s gym. We were on different teams so he got to experience the mind-baffling sensation of one of my screens, but he plays really well and I saw him completely shut down a player that had been dominating for several consecutive games before the big P showed up. Good times.

One more mention of Brother Super-Jacob: today he stopped by to give Ammie and I our new callings…. drum roll please. I’ve been called as Primary pianist and Ammie is my partner in crime as Primary Chorister! Call us the Dynamic Duo, the Dream Team, whatever you’d like, but watch out because 1/29/17 we hit Primary.

Date night this week consisted of shoe shopping at the Nike outlet where we got to blow some of our 60,000 rewards points on new running kicks. It amazed both AnneMarie and I to see how much shoes had changed since we’d last been in a shoe store. Nowadays they’re made of lightweight knit material and foam which is a far cry from the fifteen pound sketchers that I remember hauling around on my feet as a kid. In some ways it feels like you’re paying more for less!

In other big news, the arrival of our furniture meant that home-decorating was on like Donkey Kong. I built a bookcase for our living room to house our growing library of learning. AnneMarie and I worked out the layout for our couches and tables all afternoon and AnneMarie’s looking forward to finishing decorating this week. When it comes to decorating, this girl really lives up to her Scandinavian roots! #Style Pictures coming soon for those interested.

Ammie kept busy this week with institute, Pilates, a bachelorette party, job-hunting and endless batches of cookies. She enjoys having her trusty KitchenAid back,and a house of her own.

Porter and Kalechi can attest to this. We had Porter and his Nigerian roommate over for dinner and games tonight, partly as a birthday week dinner for Porter and partly because we love having any and all over for food and games. Good times. Kalechi and Porter are good friends and good kids and we enjoy hanging out with the self-styled Princes of Nigeria.

We love you and miss you, wherever you may be.

May your couches all fit through the door and your kitchens be full of cookies,

Love,

Tanner and AnneMarie

No comments: