Sunday, March 20, 2016

With All My Love

Dear Elder Schenewark,

I've written to you in snippets this week as there was too much for one letter. It was a far from usual week. Backtrack to the plane ride out. On take-off, which Breyer had been waiting for what must have seemed like a long time, she looks out my window and yells, "Mom! Look at my planet!" There were a lot of snickers. Then, when the third person in our row sat down, she leans over to me and says, "Mom, I am NOT sitting by this man!" He was a good sport, and she did sit by that man. She was counseled by her father on two airport rules: Never leave your mother, and don't flush the plane toilet - especially when you're sitting down! I tried to avoid the lavatory line, but she didn't make it. And the flush wasn't as scary as she had imagined. She did get carte blanche from the male stewardess to visit the snack basket, so she would venture up the aisle by herself for chips.

We were picked up by our favorite Intel engineer, dropped Uncle Ben off at the grandparents, and got into bed at 2 a.m. and your sister finally fell asleep! My hostess and I spent the morning helping Jen clean the kitchen. We were like a bunch of visiting teachers, laughing up a storm while cleaning up a storm. It was fun. And short. Forty minutes and then Jen had to go. My ride in her Angela will have to wait.

I don't know if I'll get the pictures from the wedding to  you this week, but here's a sample. Always wonderful when family gets together. The cameras were operated by Jeannette and Alana, and a bounty of pictures is forthcoming!


The blecky bug is still here today. Ben seems to have been hit the hardest. No one's eating here on Brigham St. but your grandparents were up and about by mid afternoon, as was your sister. Ben had to change his flight to tomorrow, with me, as he was too sick to get off the couch. My former stake president, Dr. Gordon Williams, a world-renowned endocrinologist with Brigham and Women's
Hospital for over 50 years called your grandfather for his weekly update while I was there. He loves your grandfather, and plays an active part in whom he should see and what should be treated. I am grateful for his concern and love. Grampy called him one of his best friends. He's in good hands. We also watched the Arnold Palmer Invitational. Day, Martin and Chappell were fighting over first place, but it eventually ended  with Day and a -17.

March Madness has begun. Your brothers love that stuff. Just this weekend a 2 was beat by a 15. Remember those games?

In our local news? Remember dinosaur land down the road from us? Glen Rose, Texas: Mother Arrested for Allegedly Burning 2-Year-Old in Oven. So,so,so sad!

Framingham, Massachusetts: 4 Men Charged in Attack Allegedly Entered US Illegally, Immigration and Customs Enforcement sought to detain the Guatemalan men, who face charges including rape and kidnapping.

The Provo City Center Temple was dedicated today as the 150th temple of the The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Uncle Zach is here with me this evening, and he sent you a small missive: "The word of the day is diarrhea. The good news, though, is that once you've spent a year in Brazil for vermes, no diarrhea can faze you. Do you ever look at the food a member has prepared for you and think about how much time you'll have to spend on the toilet as a result? I pooped my pants for the first time on my mission; couldn't quite make it home/find a public bathroom on the way home from lunch. I'm with Grampy right now, and he's watching golf on TV--too bad you're not here. I don't care about golf, and I'm not one for TV on Sunday, so I'm doubly disinterested. Be regular!"

And on that note, I'll close. I hope your week is wonderful! We have a snowstorm coming in tonight, and we all are wondering whether or not we'll be able to leave. How fun!

Love,

Mom

2 comments:

Bachland :) said...

"Be regular" That' is certainly the quote of the day! You have to have to context, but in many ways it can sum up our lives at times.

shirlgirl said...

Great letter as usual.