Sunday, August 14, 2011

Raising Filmore

This bald, baby bird, eyes closed, fell down my chimney.

I like to think he fell out of his nest, rather than got pushed out.


And he was very hungry!

He was appropriately named Filmore, as his feathers needed to come in.

Filmore's leg became caught in a towel string, so the boys performed a mini operation.


Filmore drank water from a syringe, and loved his wax worms.

And he grew.


His feathers began to come in, and he knew he we were.

He let us know when he needed food by squawking over the baby monitor.


We brought him outside to help his wings become stronger.


Filmore finally strong enough to fly to the edge of the box.


Filmore close to leaving our nest.

He flew away one afternoon, when our garge doors were open.

Raising this baby bird and having him leave has reminded me often of my boy getting ready to leave his "nest" for the first time.


"In the eternal scheme of things, the most crucial and fulfilling thing you will do is to build a holy home and rear a strong family in love." Susan Tanner, April 2003


8 comments:

LL said...

this made me teary!
My Filmore is growing up too fast...I'm going to clip his wings.

Jenny said...

Mom told me about this!
You guys are amazing.
Filmore might have ended up in the deep six in our yard, if you know what I mean...
Lucky bird!
sweet thoughts.

Aaron H. said...

THAT was awesome. Nice job!

Janeen said...

I loved how you chronicled Filmore's growth and care. Look what happens when someone cares! Beautiful job.

Duncan Chaos said...

AWWW! So sweet! I am happy it had a happy ending. I know a lot of work went into Filmore!

shirlgirl said...

What a wonderful lesson of service and caring for one of God's creatures. Your boys are awesome, and I loved his name.

Alana said...

Lucky bird that Filmore. If he had to fall, there's no better place for him to have fallen than into your home. We'll take good care of your baby bird, don't worry.

CubSctAnn said...

Great job with Filmore & soon-to-fledge T-man! :)