Sunday, April 11, 2010

Stewardship

My parents were baptized into The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints when I was four. One of my earliest childhood memories I've retained is of my father participating in my blessing as a child of record, in sacrament meeting. Normally this is done when babies are born, and I've never seen it done since, but I was four. My father learned about this blessing, and wanted to make sure we didn't miss out on this opportunity. He wanted to fully embrace all the blessings the gospel offers. Shortly after their baptism my parents moved to Utah so my father could earn a degree at BYU. I'm sure going from a small congregation in New England to a large congregation in Utah was different, perhaps a little intimidating. But I remember my father standing up in sacrament meeting, and saying, "I've been here for four weeks and every single time the sacrament prayers have been said wrong. Would it be possible to pay a little more attention?" As a four year old I thought nothing of it. As I reflect on these two incidents now I realize that when my parents entered the waters of baptism the level of commitment they made was not shallow. They were willing to "stand as witnesses of God at all times and in all things, and in all places," as it says in Mosiah 18:9. Their determination to do what was right, at all costs, has blessed our family. They knew what they were suppose to do and they did it. The gospel teaches us and gives us tools to be families. The family is an eternal unit. As parents we have stewardship over our children. How grateful I am for the stewardship of my parents and for the choices my parents made for me. "And whoso is found a faithful, a just, and a wise steward shall enter into the joy of his Lord, and shall inherit eternal life" (Doctrine and Covenants 51:19).

4 comments:

Becky said...

I have never heard this before. Thanks for sharing more about them. Just recently Jenny shared with me her memories of your live sealing to mom and dad in the temple. I would love to hear your version sometime. LOVE YOU!

The Vieiras said...

And your parents have only continued-- in even greater ways--to be witnesses of God. I feel so blessed to know them and all of your family! Thank you for your wonderful thoughts.

Smilin' sunshine said...

Your parents are so great!

I can so see your dad getting up in Sacrament Meeting and saying what he did, and I bet not one person was offended, but it made them think!!
Love it!

Liz said...

Awesome story!