Monday, April 18, 2016

With All My Love

Dear Elder Schenewark,

Hello! How are you? We love you! We miss you! You have a new cousin entering the mission field. Kayla turned her papers in, and got her call this week. She's headed to Roseville, California, June 28th, Spanish speaking. She'll be entering the Mexico MTC. How exciting! She fervently wanted to learn how to speak Spanish, and had a tender mercy being assigned to do just that.


What else is in the news? Your cousin Emma and her rugby team were on a bus that was involved in an accident. The girls didn't suffer as much as the elderly driver of the car. We're so glad she's alright!


My favorite headline: Northeastern United States: Experts Say Area Should Expect Influx of 17-Year Cicadas: The 17-year cicadas, which hatched in 1999, will come above ground next month to mate. The influx is set to be seen in Ohio, New York, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia and West Virginia.

There was a 7.8 quake in Equador, and a 7.4 quake in Japan this weekend.

And of course in Brazil we heard: In a landmark vote Sunday, members of the country's lower house of parliament supported impeaching the Brazilian president, who is charged with tampering with state funds to make the economy look better than it actually was ahead of her 2014 re-election. She has repeatedly denied the accusations.


Pro-government lawmakers scuffle with opposition lawmakers during the session where it was voted to impeach Brazil's President Dilma Rousseff in Brasilia, Brazil on Sunday.

The big news this week is Porter. He's hit some major milestones, all in a matter of a few days. Dad took him down to Stephenville Friday for his driving test. He spent last weekend redoing his driver education for the State of Texas. He finally got his drivers license! He was motivated by wanting to drive to prom Saturday. His insurance kicked in at midnight Friday, and he was up the next morning driving to pick up his date's flowers. He has now officially gone on his first date. And his first school dance. Fun friend facts? Most of the girls were from the high school soccer team. Some parent paid for over twenty of them to ride to Arlington in a shuttle bus. Porter said he felt like a senior citizen being transported to an appointment. And, by popular vote, he was nominated as Prom Prince.

Miller is the only one who had a game this week, two actually. He pitched in one, and caught in another. He's still deserving of his Ohio nickname: Hoover. He had a great diving catch on a foul ball near the first base line.

I was sitting in Sunday School by myself today, and saw Dad come in and sit down - NOT.WITH.ME! I gave him the look. So he moved. Later, he told me that, "There was something wicked seeing my wife in her red reading glasses, looking up and smiling at me." We have too much fun together. We were reading in Jarom 1:11-12, "Wherefore, the prophets did labor diligently, exhorting with all long-suffering the people to diligence; teaching...persuading them to look forward unto the Messiah, and believe in him to come as though he already was...And by so doing they kept them from being destroyed upon the face of the land; for they did prick their hearts with the word, continually stirring them up unto repentance." Your father immediately thought of the importance of General Conference. We only are treated to this spiritual feast twice a year, but can you imagine the consequences of not having this in our lives? Literally, we are kept from being destroyed because of this blessing in our lives. Do you want a copy of the conference edition of The Ensign in your box I'm packing? I picked up your contact sample, FINALLY!, and will be mailing it shortly.

I have probably been remiss in keeping you updated in my efforts to re enter the work force. It's been so long since I've worked that I've been slightly fearful about my skill set and desirability. But after having been poked, prod and dissected, I mean fingerprinted, polygraphed, psych evaluated, etc. I have two BIG departments in negotiations. One put me through all the testing and interviews in about three weeks (county). Another (city) has found out, and is bringing me back in this week to interview for a higher position. More money, more leverage. One of the tests I had to take, about two hours long, with lots of typing, phone calls and emergency messages beeping in my headphones, scored the highest score they've ever seen. Not bad for an old lady that hasn't worked in over twenty some years. My mantra this weekend, whenever I wanted to smile, has been, "Highest test score EVER!" Your father has been very supportive of the thirty page applications that I've had to fill out by hand, multiple times, converting my old letters of recommendation, newspaper articles, etc. into a PDF, and helping when I have needed a sitter. I have a start date of May 2nd, unless I am offered a different position. Either way, it's all good.

We're looking forward to your letter. It's such a weekly treat to glimpse into a piece of your Brazilian existence. Please let us know what we can do when you have one of those hard weeks.

Love,

Mom

P.S. Stephen's brother, Daniel, had a benign tumor around the base of his spine they partially removed. They'll wait to see if it grows back.

3 comments:

Bachland :) said...

To the Best Mom ever, with the highest scores ever! May it turn out just like you want it to.

AnneMarie Pace Schenewark said...

Congrats on the job!!!

Wholly Duncan said...

Yay about the job! I'm sure you'll be great.