Monday, December 26, 2016

Letter #71

Dear Family and Friends,

And it was wonderful to see all of you as well! Get better soon AnneMarie! That was the first Christmas tree I've seen in a long time, and it was doubly nice to see you all around it. It´s hard to say everything and talk to everyone in such a short time but I hope that you all know that I love you with all my heart. The internet connection fell in the middle of the prayer, and I didn't even get to say goodbye, but that´s okay.


As mentioned, this week has been slow on the work, and fast on the feasts. Everyone has left the city to go to the beach  - and I can´t blame them. We had our district Chrismas party. It went until 5, with volleyball and lots of food. I cooked the meat and its become my new hobby. There's something relaxing about it. We had our ward Christmas party. We had to leave, and didn't participate, but hey, it happened.


Christmas Eve the members came to our house bringing lots of food and caroling. A beautiful choir. And barbecue everyday for lunch. Unfortunately this week will be much of the same thing. It's good to enjoy the holidays, but it makes the work awfully tough for missionaries. We´re trying to think of something creative to help. Yesterday, our stake´s attendance was a hair above 250.
 


I really like how the original apostles viewed their trials. As Peter taught in 1 Peter 4;12-12: "Beloved, think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened unto you; But rejoice, inasmuch as ye are partakers of Christ´s sufferings; that when his glory shall be revealed, ye may be glad also with exceeding joy."


Now, there´s a whole lot I´d like to say on that, but I´ll just close with the words of Paul in 2 Cor. 4;17, one of my favorite scriptures: "For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory."

Our trials, well fought and supported, bring the blessings. Bring us an eternal reward. So never, never give up. Give thanks for the opportunity to grow and learn.

Love,

Elder Schenewark

No comments: