Sunday, October 30, 2016

With All My Love

Dear Elder Schenewark, the other boys, and friends,

Mammograms. Your father said I should write about them. Really. I made him laugh. I had my first one ever. My twin has probably had 15 more than me. Every one talked about pain. I had none. No one mentioned the blue capes we'd be wearing. Or that I'd sit in a waiting room with other women wearing blue capes. It was like a factory. One or two out, one or two in. I laughed the whole time. Made a few others laugh as well. Good times.

Last week for family home evening we had a lesson on anger. President Hinkley said, "Anger is not an expression of strength. It is an indication of one’s inability to control his thoughts, words, his emotions. Of course it is easy to get angry. When the weakness of anger takes over, the strength of reason leaves. Cultivate within yourselves the mighty power of self-discipline." We had a good talk about not losing self control, and giving into anger. We'll see.

Your Brazilian friend sent me some dinner photos. Yeah!


AnneMarie let your brother cut her hair. Oh dear!. Talked with the honey moon man and his wife in Scotland for the first time since they left in August. They haven't had internet connection at their apartment, and their phones don't work. It was wonderful. And it wasn't very long. AnneMarie is looking at a few options for volunteer work, working with refugees. She'll be amazing. What a great adventure they're on.


This is a children's choir from Africa singing to the Scottish parliament. Tanner posted a video, from the news, that showed himself and AnneMarie in the background. Fun!



I love this photo from your cousin Kayla, first on the left. Hermana Orton is in "LOVE" with her mission. Here is a clip from her latest letter: "Life is hard but the Lord will not leave you hanging and He will prepare you to kick your trials to the ground and to stand triumphant in the rubble of your afflictions."

Your friend and chess partner passed away last Monday. The funeral was yesterday, in Westin. I've heard the services were lovely. I love Reed for serving you boys when I was hoping to have you serve Reed. Chess games were just the means to rub shoulders together, even on line. He was a good sport playing with you before you were so accomplished in the game of chess. Let me know if you need the Nixons' address.


Porter called tonight. What a joy to talk with him. I had to give him a hard time about not college corresponding with me. He said he would write an update and send pictures. I'll give him two days, and then sign into his bank account and exhort some money. Just joking. Maybe I'll withhold his airline ticket. Just joking. I'll think of something. I miss him. I miss you. I miss Tanner. Everybody's gone!

Both Sawyer and Cooper had Halloween parties last night.  Sawyer collected candy as the housing development was having their own party, but candy wasn't his favorite collection: The two hamburgers and freshly barbecued brisket are what kept him going for the rest of the evening. Who hands that out for Halloween? Only in Texas

The two little urchins leftover went to the church for trunk-n treating. Breyer's favorite Halloween activity. She likes it better than trick 'r treating. Miller's choice of costume was shorts and an athletic top, with a basketball. "Mom, I'm an NBA play." Okay.

Dad got a call from a guy, who needed a ride to Dallas to catch a bus. Nothing like meeting a 6'11" giant of a man in the HEB parking lot, squeezing him into the Prius, and conversing with him for 90 minutes, with a ten minute warning. They had a wonderful time, and Dad was glad to help. One of his fonder moments he'll recall being Bishop.


These are some pretty eclectic thoughts, just right for a Halloween Day letter to you. Hope you have a wonderful week. Honoring those who have past before us, lit the way, and left a few lights burning, deserve to be remembered. Treasure your family, your father, your grandparents, your aunts and uncles. Family is where it's at. Dad's friend struggled for days trying to get back to his in San Angelo. Be careful down in Brazil.

L-O-V-E ,

Mom

1 comment:

AnneMarie Pace Schenewark said...

Remind me to tell you a funny mammogram story!