Sunday, October 23, 2016

With All My Love

Dear Elder Schenewark, Porter, Tanner, family and friends,

I love this picture. Elder Orton. At the edge of the world in Barrow, Alaska, THE most northern point in the United States. Good bye to the Tongan people, hello to the Inuits! What an adventure! Fall is here, winter is coming, but Elder Orton will feel it the most.



A friend in New England posted this picture of her tree. LOVE the leaves! I miss the change of seasons more obvious in the east. I crave the smells that are in the air: smoke from wood burning stoves, leaves as they're crunched underfoot, pine as the wind blows through the evergreens.


Re cap from last week's letter: Cooper and his Iron Man costume. He really did glow!


I was asking Tanner a few questions, and he answered live, then sent me a picture. I haven't seen these two in almost a year, and haven't spoken with them for two months. Miss them! Thank goodness for weekly updates! It's hard having my children away!


I loved your thoughts from last week's letter. Beautifully written and spirit filled from your sweet heart. I was driving towards downtown Granbury, and saw two men under a portable tent, advertising FREE PRAYER. I initially thought, "Oh, that's sweet." Then I thought, "Do people think they have to pay to pray? That offering money will somehow make the prayer more effective? How sad. Our Father in Heaven is always available, to us all, for any reason, at any time, no strings attached. In October's General Conference, Sis. McConkie said, "Every moment of precious prayer can be holy time spent with our Father, in the name of the Son, by the power of the Holy Ghost. In the struggles of mortality, we are never left alone. Prayer is a gift from God."

Every day Breyer comes home from school and whips her shoes off. She spent the first five years barefoot and fancy free, so she's done well coming off the bus with shoes. Sometimes they do come off in the car, especially her cleats after soccer. Just because I dump a handful of rocks out of them everyday, collected from her recess antics, has nothing to do with her wishing for free toes.

Miller. He runs all day long. And he doesn't eat. I don't understand why. He's not a foodie. That's my current battle. Getting him to eat enough to keep up with  his exercise output. He tears up the soccer field. He chases neighbors after school. He kicks and bounces balls in between. And he's really, really cute.

Have you heard about the water bottle flipping craze? Sawyer has. And he does it all the time. He tosses it on the fireplace, from across the room, and it lands solid and upright. On the fridge? Up above the kitchen cabinets? On the basketball rim? He's good. Your siblings get a little annoyed with the noise. I think it's funny.

I spent Monday evening watching Cooper play in a post season tennis match. I missed the doubles but caught his singles. He's got an amazing, big shoulder driving serve, and is on most of the time. If he serves a second, he never misses. He almost does a baseball style wind up, his own unique style. He also plays a tricky net game. I cringe, thinking he's moving up too soon and too close, but he has a long reach for his slams, and a tricky flip of his wrist for his drop overs. Every once in a while he has too much power on his forward returns but overall plays a consistent game. I never thought I'd have a boy playing tennis, and I love it. Just as much as I did when you switched to golf. You boys are all so unique!

I speak with Porter a few times a week. This week he let me know that he found the quiz bowl team for BYU. He walked in wearing a knit panda hat and baggy sweats, looking at a roomful of bow ties and wing tips. He walked out with the victory, and respect. He'll be back. I do believe he is loving life.

That's about all the news for the week. We love you. Breyer asked if you were coming home for Christmas. I had to tell her no, and she burst into tears. I'm telling you just to let you know she thinks of you, she loves you, she remembers you.

As do I.

Love,

Mom

3 comments:

Bachland :) said...

But Breyer will get to see Hunter on Skype, will that make her feel any better?

Wholly Duncan said...

Miss you guys, love the weekly updates. I'm aching to get Em home in Dec. I don't know how you did/do it. Have a great time with who is home for the holidays!

shirlgirl said...

Wonderful letter and follow-ups on the boys and Breyer. i get a kick out of the shoes--off the minute she comes into the house.