Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Words for the Wingmen

Dear Elder Schenewark,

I'm free--free at last! Or at least I thought I was until some guy called this morning (Sunday) wanting pest control. I'll guess I'll sell it to him but then I'm officially done with this gig. Ready for new things, like...

We've packed and moved out of California & we're headed to Europe. That's your headlines for the week. Thankfully, AnneMarie's sisters came out to visit Thursday until Saturday, not only helping us to go out with a proper party, but also helping to clean and tote all our things to their resting place in Las Vegas. Which is where we are till Tuesday.


Thursday we went to Coronado Island one last time where we played lots of volleyball (I'd like to think I'm getting better after an entire summer) and swam and ate sushi. Then we watched the sun set at...Sunset cliffs, appropriate. Friday we went to La Jolla for tacos and the beach. Dad had set us on the trail of The Taco Stand, the top rated Mexican spot in San Diego, and it lived up to the hype. Despite a nondescript appearance and the entire restaurant having the width of a teenager's bedroom, that food was da bomb. Walking out we noticed that the pizza place to the right and the Chinese restaurant to the left both had won top restaurant in San Diego in their respective categories!!! What a hotspot! We didn't get to try them but now we just have to go back, maybe when we go Bach.... ;) ;) ;)

Friday we packed and cleaned into the wee hours, visited the temple early Saturday morning and drove the 5 hours to Vegas...where we hopped right back into the car and went to Spring Mountain Ranch outside of Las Vegas. They have an outdoor theater there ( a really, really, nice one) and they put on a series of musicals all summer. We caught one while we feasted on Raising Cane's chicken fingers and the bounteous beauty of mother nature all around us. We're talking sunsets, stars twinkling, belly happy kind of joy:)

Now we're resting before a full day of packing tomorrow. I'm sure you know more than you'd like to now about living out of a suit case, but hey, that's the good life and life's good.

Last thought: I read this week about the new world record holder of the world's oldest person, a man in Java who is 145 years old. You heard that right. Forget smashing olympic records by a couple of seconds or a couple of minutes. He's got the record of longest lived by 23 years. His thoughts on this? "I only want to die." Can't hardly blame him when he's got 122 years on me as far as bumps and bruises go but I wonder if sometimes we fill in that sentence with our own, equally depressing desire (from Heavenly Father's view). "I only want to _______." We can't know right now all that we are or will come to be, but we do know what to with ourselves now as long as we remain here...From President Monson:

"This is our one and only chance at mortal life--here and now. The longer we live, the greater is our realization that it is brief. Opportunities come, and then they are gone. I believe that among the greatest lessons we are to learn in this short sojourn upon the earth are the lessons that help us distinguish between what is important and what is not. I plead with you not to let those most important things pass you by as you plan for that illusive and nonexistent future when you will have time to do all that you want to do. Instead, find joy in the journey--now."

We pray you are finding joy in your special journey in Brazil.

Love,

Tanner & AnneMarie

1 comment:

shirlgirl said...

Tanner, this is such a beautiful letter. It sounds like you and AnneMarie had an awesome summer. Now you are on a new adventure. Can't wait to hear all about your trip to Europe/Scotland, new friends, favorite eats, etc. Hopefully one of these days, I will get to meet your AnneMarie. I'm head to Texas on 9/24 for Uncle David's ship reunion--he'll be there in spirit I always bring his hat and his denim shirt with his name on it. I'll be in Arlington, not too far from your Mom and family. Hopefully I'll get some time to visit with her. She'll have to come to me, as I won't have any transportation. Have a safe trip, love you and miss you, and have a great time. Sending love and hugs to the both of you. Aunt Shirley