Sunday, February 7, 2016

With All My Love

Dear Elder Schenewark,

How are you? Do I have the goose-bumpiest story of the week for you! Dad and I could hardly wait to share it with you. In 2011 and the aftermath of the tsunami in Japan,taxi drivers report picking up ghosts of victims of the disaster. According to Japanese newspaper The Asahi Shimbun, at least seven drivers working in Ishinomaki, an area struck by the disaster, said they picked up passengers who later disappeared mid-ride. One driver said he picked up a woman in a coat in early summer, several months after the tsunami. “Please go to the Minamihama (district),” the woman said. He told her the area was empty — it had been devastated by the tsunami. Then, she asked a very strange question in a shaking voice. “Have I died?” The question was enough to make the driver turn to look in the back seat, but no one was there. All who talked about ghost passengers started their meters once the riders enter their cab. The meter is recorded. And when the ghost passengers disappeared, they had to pay their fares. Some of the seven who spoke to the reporter had recorded the experience in their logs, and one had a report that proved his unpaid fare.

Your cousin Kevin made the papers. "Not only did Ledyard win the game, but it continued to develop its post game. Senior Kevin Hutchins finished with six points and 10 rebounds. "If our big men play like this the rest of the season," McNair said, "we're going to have a good season."

Your Brazilian mosquito disease is making the news here. The news report how Brazilians are spending sixty dollars a month just in bug spray. The first case of tropical Zika virus linked to serious birth defect in the United States has been reported,as well as the fact that the Zika virus is spreading explosively in the Americas.

The Super Bowl was played today. Your father was on the phone with his father, during the middle of the game. He forgot there was a game on, and got a few updates from Grandpa Schenewark, while on the phone. This year it was the Denver Broncos (50) vs the Carolina Panthers (24).

We had spaghetti this week,with Parmesan, and Sawyer was commenting on how much he loved it. I said,"Okay, little Hunter." He wanted to know what I meant. I told him you loved Parmesan so much,you'd eat it plain out of the bag. I can never keep it in stock when you're around. Just so you know how much you're in our daily lives!

Dad got tired of Breyer's screaming. He told me she sounded like what he thought a banshee would sound like. So he had a talk. "Breyer, princesses don't scream." "Yes, Dad, they do." "No, only if there's a dragon." "I'm practicing." And she's only four!

We handed out invitations to the little girls at church today for her tea party birthday. The three girls we invited, all have sisters, so between three families she gets eight girls. She's also inviting Chloe,the neighbor girl up the street who's Porter's age.

 Four cub scouts I took them to a cemetery in the dark, with flashlights,to see the grave of Davey Crockett's wife. Breyer was spooked silly,and clung to my leg the whole way in and back out again.

Your brothers had more basketball games this week, and Cooper had another tennis match, with the same results: one the first, lost the second in overtime - mens' doubles.

I think that's our week in a wrap up. We love you dearly. I read John 15 last week, and pondered on the second verse all week. Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth (purify, tests)  it, that it may bring forth more fruit.  It is interesting to me that those who don't produce are purged, and those who do produce are tested and tried. When we have trials we turn to Christ. Verse 5 says, He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing. Through this purifying process we are made more productive.

May your baskets be overfilling with fruit.

Love,

Mom

1 comment:

Bachland :) said...

I hope Elder Schenewark doesn't mind, but each week I think the letter is really to Sis. B. and myself.