Sunday, November 20, 2016

With All My Love

Dear Elder Schenewark, my other big boys, et al,

This day heralds the week of Thanksgiving, one of our more important holiday that truthfully deserves more than one day. Hence, the week of Thanksgiving. Originally celebrated as a day of giving thanks for the harvest, I will now give thanks for my harvest: Six boys, which were created,grown, and three which have been plucked. I love your independence, intelligence, and integrity. I couldn't be prouder of my crop, and will someday see the cycle perpetuated. Your fruitful members of our society, and I could not be happier with your decisions and accomplishments.

In the news this week New Zealand's 7.8 magnitude earthquake last Monday devastated parts of the coastline north of Kaikoura, on the country's South Island.

Elder Orton's days and nights are getting colder. He's down to minutes of sunlight each day. With tough conditions he absolutely is LOVING Barrow and feels blessed to be serving the people there.


Your Facebook friend sent me this photo of you:


My favorite quote of the week? Golfer Bobby Jones: "Competitive golf is played mainly on a five and a half inch course - the space between your ears."

Your siblings have sent some love notes to you this week:

Dear Hunter,

I love you because you play golf with and always write me letters. I also love you because you played chess with me, and because you're my brother.  Love, Sawyer

Dear Hunter,

You take me golfing, and taught me how to play chess good. You're nice. You gave me a good challenge. I'm on chapter 30 of  3rd Nephi. Love, Miller

Miller's thoughts remind me of a quote from General Conference: "Whether our testimony of the Book of Mormon comes the first time we open it or over a period of time, it will influence us all of our days if we continue to read it and apply its teachings." This promise is from Elder LeGrand Curtis. A promise from President Marion G. Romney, formerly a counselor in the First Presidency:

I feel certain that if, in our homes, parents will read from the Book of Mormon prayerfully and regularly, both by themselves and with their children, the spirit of that great book will come to permeate our homes and all who dwell therein. … The spirit of contention will depart. Parents will counsel their children in greater love and wisdom. Children will be more responsive and submissive to the counsel of their parents. Righteousness will increase. Faith, hope, and charity—the pure love of Christ—will abound in our homes and lives, bringing in their wake peace, joy, and happiness.

Thank you for issuing Miller the challenge.

Dear Hunter,

I love you because you play with me, you tickle me, you're kind, you're gentle. You make me laugh. You cared for me a lot. You really, really love me. And you're really nice to me. Love, Breyer

Tonight after saying dinner prayer, Breyer said, "Mom, some voice in my  head said, "Good job! I think it was the Holy Ghost." So I asked, "Why do you think you got a good job?" "Because I was being reverent during the prayer for once." She's so sweet.

Dear Hunter,

You drove me places and did stuff with me. You are always happy. We like the same things as me."
Love, Cooper

Your siblings have the whole week off. We'll be traveling to Tyler to see your cousins Wednesday, thankful to be able to share Thanksgiving dinner with family. Miller's already packed. Without being asked. He's very excited to venture out of Granbury. Miller's end of the season soccer tournament was yesterday. He played three games, winning none,but did a great job in the 37, then 46, then 55 degree weather. I shivered on the sidelines. He says he's not going to play again, but I think he'll come around next fall. He misses baseball.



Sawyer had his first middle school basketball game. He was the only player to not be taken out. He probably scored 10 out of the winning score of 35-19. He's playing under the basket, but is the third tallest. It was obvious he stayed because he is the leader of the team, as well as his sweet spin to the basket move he's perfected for the put back. He'll be fun to watch.

Cooper brought home his spring tennis schedule, games beginning the first of January. He still creates airplanes but has moved from foam to drawing them with an architectural flair of grids and rulers.


Porter is thriving. He finally shared a few pictures. Thought of you and your dance class adventures when I saw this picture. He's definitely participating in intramural extracurricular teams, but I don't believe you did ultimate frisbee.



Dad, Sawyer and Cooper traveled to the Dallas temple yesterday. I'll let him tell you about that himself.

That's the week. In a quick wrap. We love you. I hope you feel our love. And Thanksgiving.

Love,

Mom




1 comment:

Bachland :) said...

I so love these letters each week. I think Sis. B. was right, we should have come for Thanksgiving, then returned for Christmas. We can hardly wait.