Friday, December 2, 2011

Candlepin Bowling


Breyer is all ready for a day out and about!
Today's adventure was candlepin bowling...



This business just happened to be of the Sawyer variety...and although it is in Northborough, Massachusetts, it's very close to where candlepin bowling was invented - in Worcester, 1880.


All the boys enjoyed the nice "pin" door handle, obviously a much thinner pin than ten-pin!



Sawyer holding the smaller ball. There are no holes, and you get to bowl three of them.


The lanes are long and narrow, and the downed "wood" is not cleared away during all three ball rolls.


Breyer loved the loud ball noises, and stood the whole time to roll the balls.
  

We had the whole place to ourselves...very nice!
That's what happens when you skip school to travel away during your Thanksgiving holiday!
  

Nowadays, this quaint, 60-year old business, would need $600K to be rebuilt.


Strike!

8 comments:

The Vieiras said...

fun! I think the last time I did this was the day before I got married--we needed a good family activity to keep everyone busy. So glad that you got to make it up to celebrate with your INCREDIBLE parents!

LL said...

NICE!

shirlgirl said...

Great fun! I haven't bowled in years but belonged to two bowling leagues--one at work and our church one called the "Holy Rollers". We used to bowl in Walpole behind Pete's Dream which is now Beckett's and has a function hall in the back. I still have Uncle David's bowling balls, so whoever wants them, can have them. They are blue with his initials--DAH. I think I have his bowling shoes as well. Not sure about that, though. I could never use the ten pin balls--too heavy and cumbersome for me. I was even on TV once on Candlepins for Cash with Bob Gamere many years ago. It was a fun time.

Duncan Chaos said...

First of all, I LOVE the red outfit on Breyer! She is adorable. Second, I have never heard of candlepin bowling. Looks like a lot of fun. See ya soon!

Andrea and Nate Tracey said...

Looks like a lot of fun! It was great to see you last weekend! Breyer is so cute, and I can't believe how big she has gotten!

Alana said...

I think we stopped by but it was closed, which is too bad.Zach has good memories there. How did you know it would take so much to rebuild?

Jenny said...

fun!

The Creationaires said...

coper beat sawyer