Thursday, September 18, 2014

The Trans-Allegheny Lunatic Asylum

Dear Tanner,

The weather here has become a little more overcast and cooler, definitely a relief, and perhaps a touch of fall is on the way! Just to get you more in the seasonal mood, look what I found! Your pictures from visiting the Trans-Allegheny Lunatic Asylum. Ready to check in? I mean check it out?

Even the name is scary! This psychiatric hospital, originally designed to hold 250 people, became overcrowded in the 1950s with 2,400 patients, and then forcibly closed in 1994 due to changes in treatments of patients - meaning no more cages!


This hospital, in Weston, WV, was bought in 2007, and partly opened to tours (paranormal) and other money raising events (paranormal) for its restoration.

The hospital's main building is one of the largest hand-cut stone masonry buildings in the United States, and, is the second largest hand-cut sandstone building in the World, with the only bigger one being The Kremlin (I wonder if #3 through #10 are as scary?).


My favorite?
Seeing the guides in uniforms! ;-)

2 comments:

Jennifer Whitcomb said...

You had me at the title.
EEeeeek!!

Bachland :) said...

Do they have rooms available? I'll need one for 3; me, myself & I. I just spoke with the other 2 and they agreed to share a room with me, or I, maybe myself, oh darn I forgot who I was. Is htat room ready yet?