Sunday, January 17, 2016

With All Our Love

Dear Elder Hunter Schenewark,

In 1989, President Hunter was in Jerusalem to dedicate the Brigham Young University Jerusalem Center for Near Eastern Studies. This center is near and dear to my heart, as I knew the man that went abroad for two years to oversee the construction. Anyway, several groups had protested the Church’s presence in Jerusalem, and some had threatened violence. One of the speakers at the dedication was Elder Boyd K. Packer of the Quorum of the Twelve, who later related this incident:

“As I was speaking, there was some excitement in the back of the hall. Men in military uniforms had entered the room. They sent a note to President Hunter. I turned and asked for instructions. He said, ‘There’s been a bomb threat. Are you afraid?’ I said, ‘No.’ He said, ‘Neither am I; finish your talk.'" The dedication services proceeded without incident; there was no bomb.

We live in troubling times. There's not just one incident, here and there, but a daily barrage so called "bombs" going off.

I remember when I got my first bomb threat. Turmoil is a good word to describe what it was like. President Hunter was a prophet and man who knew for himself the title used to describe our Savior, the Prince of Peace, is literal, and the answer for finding peace.

Breyer caused a little unrest in the home this week. She insists I lay with her until she falls asleep. I don't mind. She's not going to want me in her bed for much longer. Every once in a while I fall asleep, and end up sleeping in her bed the entire night. On one such night this week, she wet the bed, and me. Getting up for seminary and making breakfast and lunches before I leave is enough, but that morning I had to squeeze in a quick shower as well. And since she was wet, she woke up earlier than usual, and did NOT want me to leave. I left her flailing and wailing in the arms of your father. Her latest obsession is looking for and finding my camera, and taking photos of herself and whomever is home, or whatever is in the home. My card becomes very full very quickly.


Dad and I spent yesterday visiting all the basketball games. Miller is his team's secret weapon. We're just waiting for him to discover this. He's making progress, and is so fun to watch.  I had a player's grandmother chasing me down the hall after a game, wanting to know how he got to be so good. I told her he had five older brothers, smiled, and walked away while her mouth was still hanging open. The coach's wife is still taking pictures, which we enjoy finding on her website every Sunday evening.


Sawyer was called "smooth," He's an obvious leader on the floor, but is struggling sometimes with how much to carry the team. If he's not being beaten, smashed, elbowed, he's fun to watch and happy while playing.

Porter unexpectedly and without our knowing, had two friends over to the house while we were at basketball games. I came home at 8:30 p.m. with everybody hungry, a car full of groceries, and guests inside my messy I've-been-gone-all-day house. I made chicken nachos,  and everyone sat at the table with Porter, and played Liar's Dice and Oriole. Porter will hopefully be wrapping up his BYU application this week, as well as turning into an 18 year old adult. He hopes to finally be able to get his license, and practices when we enter Bentwater.


Cooper is still cute as ever. He makes a wedge in his hair, just like you, every morning. If he doesn't like how it looks after seminary, he'll roll down the car window, stick his head out like a dog, and fluff his hair up a bit. His spring tennis season begins this week. He loves the new racquet he got for Christmas, and enjoys being called "Little Porter" when he's around Porter's athlete friends. (The picture is of his cracked golf ball lure.)

Dad might have finally found a hobby. He loves to go fishing, and came home several days this week to go fishing with the boys, usually Sawyer is up for a quick trip to the lake. Even though the weather is chilly, he found a hungry fish.



Some trivial news? The new Star Wars movie came out a week or two ago...Dad and Cooper went, but the rest of us are waiting until it's at Redbox.

This week, Alan Rickman, the British actor with the unforgettable voice who played the brooding Professor Severus Snape in the "Harry Potter" films died after a short battle with cancer. He was 69.

I think that's this week in summary. Except I haven't told you how much I love you. Be good, work hard, take care.

With all my love,

Mom


Dear Hunter,

I look forward to hearing about your week. I hope all is well. Continue to be diligent and faithful. I know you will be blessed.

I have been out, a few times, with the missionaries the over the last two weeks. The last discussion was with a lady who has no real desire to learn about the church. Her only goal is to convert the missionaries. She apparently has a brother who is a member of the church and served a mission. I take it she has been practicing on the missionaries (and me) in order to change her brother. I told the elders that they should move on and agreed after she said the closing prayer and prayed for our souls. Key lesson, not everyone wants to learn or is willing to learn. Keep looking for those who have a desire to learn of and follow Heavenly Father.

I picked up a book for you the other day at the library. It cost 50 cents. It is Bobby Jones on Golf. It is up on the library shelf.

Do you hear much talk about the Olympics? The news that I see, indicates that Brazil is not close to being ready. I also read an article this past week about how Brazil is being hit with a recession, the worse since 1901. I am not sure how true is that story.

Be diligent, be obedient, enjoy yourself and helping other. Service is the key. Be safe.

We love you and miss you.

Love Dad

1 comment:

Bachland :) said...

What a wonderful Mom and Dad letter. I felt like it was to me, encouraging me to work hard and be a good person. Thanks Mom & Dad